Administering an Oracle Database:-
A small site can have one database administrator who administers the database for application developers and users related issues.
Database requires at least one database administrator (DBA). An Oracle Database system can be large and can have many users. The DBA responsibilities is very important .
A database administrator’s responsibilities can include the following tasks:
–>Creates and maintains all database required for development, testing, education and production usage.
–>Performs the capacity planning required to create and maintain the database.
–>Plans and impalements the backup and recovery of the database.
–>Performs database re-organizations as required to assist performance and ensure maximum uptime of database.
–>Administers all database objects, including tables, indexes, view, package, procedure and sequence.
· –> Installing new versions of the oracle RDBMS and upgrading/migrating the Oracle Database server and application tools to access the oracle database.
· –> Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system.
· –>Creating primary database storage structures (tablespaces) after application developers have designed an application.
· –>Creating primary objects (tables, views, indexes) once application developers have designed an application.
· –>Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers.
· –>Enrolling users and maintaining system security.
· –> Ensuring compliance with Oracle license agreements.
· –>Controlling and monitoring user access to the database.
· –> Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database.
· –>Planning for backup and recovery of database information.
· –>Maintaining archived data on tape.
· –>Backing up and restoring the database.
· –>Contacting Oracle for technical support.
The DBA should posses the following skills.
1>A good knowledge of the database structures and physical database design.
2> A good knowledge of the operating systems.
3> Ability to do the performance tuning operating system as well as database.
4> Good exposer on Database backup and recovery.
5>sound knowledge of application at your sites.
6>Good knowledge of all oracle tools.
security officer enrolls users, controls and monitors user access to the database, and maintains system security. As a DBA, you might not be responsible for these duties if your site has a separate security officer.
A network administrator, for example, administers Oracle networking products, such as Oracle Net Services.
Application developers design and implement database applications. Their responsibilities include the following tasks:
· –>Designing and developing the database application
· –>Designing the database structure for an application
· –>Estimating storage requirements for an application
· –>Specifying modifications of the database structure for an application
· –>Relaying this information to a database administrator
· –>Tuning the application during development
· –>Establishing security measures for an application during development
Application administrators to administer a particular application. Each application can have its own administrator.
Database users interact with the database through applications or utilities. A typical user’s responsibilities include the following tasks:
–>Entering, modifying, and deleting data, where permitted.
· –>Generating reports from the data.